Location: Heidelberg, Germany
Duration face-to-face courses: 17.10.2022 - 13.01.2023
The Certificate in Social Protection is designed to enhance system-level thinking and innovation capacity for postgraduates and professionals working in social protection systems. The unique and targeted mix of theoretical education and practical training disseminates specialist knowledge, teaches impactful skill-sets and improves professional competencies in related fields, while building strong networks for future collaboration. The certificate combines online and face-to-face teaching, increasing the flexibility for participants, who can take the online courses at their own pace. During the five weeks of face-to-face training at the Heidelberg Institute of Global Health, Germany, participants get to engage directly with academic and professional experts from the field.
This advanced programme aims at conveying in-depth and interdisciplinary knowledge in the area of social protection and other interconnected policies. Participants will be able to make a substantial contribution to the elaboration, implementation and necessary reforms to achieve and maintain viable, sustainably funded, efficient, effective and equitable social protection systems that meet current and future socio-economic and gender-specific challenges. The objectives of the program address three different levels: the individual level, the institutional and the multi-institutional level (systems).
The program has the following specific objectives:
- Promotion of individual and professional competencies, including research skills in social protection;
- Development of practical problem-solving skills in the area of social protection;
- Development of trans-disciplinary dialogue competence and networking among program alumni and with specialized national and international institutions;
- Promotion of student leadership and innovation competencies within their own institutions and social protection systems.
Social Protection and Social Security
Interested in learning applicable skills in the field of social protection? Our course offering covers everything from health insurance and pension systems to policy implementation and monitoring. By partnering with the University of Maastricht, the German Pension Fund and AOK International Consulting, we are able to disseminate the knowledge of a range of experts. Participants can sign up for individual face-to-face and online courses, or complete our Certificate in Social Protection.
- Learning Objectives
With the accomplishment of the courses, the participants will be able to:
- Demonstrate didactic knowledge and technical skills in managing essential social protection instruments;
- Manage complex business processes concerning social protection programmes;
- Examine the risks faced by individuals and communities and potential system responses;
- Identify common strengths and challenges to social protection programmes and their implementation;
- Assess potential gaps between existing supply and emerging demand for social protection;
- Recommend new social protection interventions and forecast their potential impacts;
- Propose multi-tiered solutions for improving the social protection system landscape;
- Evaluate the impacts of social protection systems on broader policy objectives and draw recommendations for different stakeholders.
- Packages of Courses
This program includes a package of selected e-Learning courses and 5 face-to-face courses. The students have full flexibility to complete the online courses in the time convenient for them and alongside their job duties. Only 5 weeks’ presence time for the face to face courses in Germany is required. The course includes close cooperation between academic and professional institutions in the field of social protection. The design and implementation of the advanced program provide opportunities for a successful future professional career after graduation.
Required Courses for achieving the Certificate on Social Protection are:
E-Learning courses (TOTAL credits: at least 8 ECTS):
- Course A1: Introduction to Social Protection (ECTS 2) + participants’ choice of any other online courses offered by the program
*Note: at least 8 ECTS have to be earned through e-learning courses to achieve the certificate
Face-to-Face courses (TOTAL ECTS: 7.5):
- Course B1: Introduction to Social Protection (in cooperation with AOKConsulting)
- Course B2: Business Administration in Social Protection
- Course B3: Controlling in health insurance (in cooperation with AOKConsulting)
- Course B4: Controlling in Pension systems (in cooperation with the German Pension Fund)
- Course B5: Monitoring and Evaluation of Social Protection Systems (in cooperation with Maastricht School of Governance)
- Target group
Public health professionals, social protection / social security sector professionals, policy makers, private companies and relevant public administrations, project planners and coordinators, postgraduate students, independent of the geographical origin.
This course is held in English. Fluency in English (Reading, Speaking and Writing) is required.
General Admission: € 3.500 EUR
Travel and accommodation cost are not included
Registration: All applications should be submitted online.
- Location: Heidelberg, Germany
Participants of our face-to-face courses get the opportunity to live and study in Heidelberg, Germany. Nestled between two mountains on the Neckar river, Heidelberg is widely regarded as one of the most beautiful German towns. Each year, nearly 12 million visitors come to see attractions like the historic town center and the romantic Heidelberg castle.
Our lectures take place at the Heidelberg Institute of Global Health, which is part of Heidelberg University. Founded in 1386, Heidelberg University is the oldest University in Germany. Its student population of 30,000 give Heidelberg a young vibe that is best experienced in the many restaurants, eateries and bars across town.
While we don’t provide housing ourselves, we can help course participants find student accommodation at the University. Please contact us directly for more information.
Click here to learn more about the university.
New accordion content